Saturday, September 7, 2013

SOOOLLDDDDD

For the past few months, I've been selling off a massive collection I purchased.  It was fun, but was getting cumbersome and, well ... old.  After rapidly selling through my 3,000 count boxes of stars, rookies and inserts, I was still left with about 50,000 cards. 

It wasn't just one collection though.  It was comprised of a lot of other little collections that I have been accumulating. 

- HUGE collection sorted mainly by players
- Leftovers from a few other collections I had purchased
- What was left of a hoard of newer complete sets
- Over 200 in person autographs
- 125 or so jerseys / autographs

A guy I have done big deals with in the past picked up some cool '86-87 Fleer basketball BGS graded cards, including a Jordan rookie.  I love me some Jordan (who doesn't?) so I looked into considering doing a deal.  Not only did we trade his BGS graded fleer cards, but he also bought some super nice lots I had of Derek Jeter, Albert Pujols and Josh Hamilton.  These included the 93 SP Jeter, a 93 Stadium Club Jeter PSA 9, a Jeter autographed baseball, a Pujols autographed baseball, 9 Pujols rookies, a Pujols autographed baseball card and Josh Hamilton '99 Topps Traded autographed card.

Now if you know me, you know that I love all 3 of these players.  This is just proof that I am pretty much not attached to anything!  Things seem to get old pretty quickly for me,  Plus, I am in love with starting fresh with something.  In my book, the thrill of the hunt ALWAYS trumps the pleasure from having a card. 

Here are the new beauties!




 
 
It feels a ton better having this tiny stack of cards on my desk, rather than 30+ boxes scattered all over my office!  Plus, I *may* have a buyer for the cards above, minus the Jordan - we will see. 

So, aside from several autographed baseballs I'm holding for another buyer at the end up the month, I am left with 1 final box of stars/rookies/inserts, and a gravy lot. 

What is a gravy lot?  You might ask ...

Well, this is a lot that I generally end up with when everything else is gone.  It is cards that I may pull from collections to keep for a while.  The majority are baseball, and I would guess there are about 6,500 or so of these cards.  I'm selling them all at $1,500.  It may be difficult to find a buyer for them due to the price, but it is very much so a money making lot. 

It is really strange to have so few cards right now!  It is somewhat exhilarating to have almost gone through everything, and will feel odd if I ever am able to get through the rest of these.  I really hope I can, but with these, I'm not in too terribly much of a hurry because it is really cool stuff that I haven't had much time looking through. 

Keep in mind, I'm not counting the 3,000,000+ cards I still have coming to me from a deal I made a while ago...I'm talking about in my home right now. 

So, now that I have all this room, I decided thursday evening to start organizing and cleaning my holders.  After years of buying collections, I have not done it before that I can recall, so I figured I would tackle it. 

It took a while longer than I thought. 

You don't realize how many of these things you accumulate over the years!  I will probably sell off a bunch of it.  Heck, I think I have dozens of penny sleeve packages from deals I did 5 years ago.  If I haven't used them yet, will I ever? 

No comments:

Post a Comment